If this is the year that you’re really going to carry out your New Year’s weight loss resolutions you must have some type of plan in place, nutritionally and exercise wise, in order to be successful. A plan or program that I’ve used successfully in the past for myself or with my clients is the Precision Nutrition program put together by Dr. John Berardi. As part of his plan he lists 10 Habits that you should follow. They are:
- Eat every 2-3 hours.
- Have a complete, lean protein source with every feeding.
- Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity
- Eat veggies and fruits with any meal; other carbs only after the 1-2 hours after you exercise.
- Eat healthy fats daily. Aim for a ratio of 1/3 saturated, 1/3 monounsaturated, 1/3 polyunsaturated fats.
- Do not drink any calorie containing beverages. Water and and green tea should be your only choices, with the exception of your post workout or meal replacement shakes.
- Eat whole foods whenever possible.
- Plan ahead and prepare in advance.
- Eat as wide a variety of good foods as possible.
- Be 90% compliant. Realistically you’re not going to follow these strategies 100% of the time. But the more compliant you are, the more progress you will make.
10 strategies that I do not think are totally unreasonable. For more information about Precision Nutrition visit www.precisionnutrition.com.