….reasons why crunches are a waste of your time:
- In order to get any sort of training effect you have to do hundreds of them since the range of motion is so short.
- Your spine doesn’t enjoy repeated spinal flexion. Constantly sending compressive loads through your spine is setting you up for an aching back.
- In the era of “functional” training, they’re about as functional as using the Smith machine…not functional at all. Think about it. How many times a day do you call on your abs to flex? Once, when you get out of bed in the morning. A second time, if you’re getting up from a nap.
- Some of the most prominent researchers and therapists in the rehab field have suggested the role of the rectus abdominus to is resist trunk extension, not engage trunk flexion.
- They’re doing nothing for your waist line. If that’s what you’re searching for, you’re better off doing 10-12 minutes of high intensity interval training.