……after suffering from heat exhaustion the last couple of days.
- Can’t wait for the NFL regular season to start. I just wish it was starting minus Brett Favre. Is there a more annoying player in any sport right now? Some people may not like me for saying this, but I’d much rather have Michael Vick on my team rather than this lunatic who just will not go away. Could you imagine our local Super Bowl MVP, Mr. Brady, pulling this type of stuff off at the end of his career?
- One more sports note. I guess when you’re a nice, lovable guy (David Ortiz) and get caught doing steroids you won’t be hated as much as a guy who’s always saying and doing the wrong thing and wears lip gloss (A-Rod).
- I have not used the leg press or leg extension machines personally or with a client in the last three years. and I’ve used the leg curl machine on a couple occasions. It’s all about getting a larger training effect and I feel that is much more possible through squats, deadlifts and any single leg work.
- It still amazes me how many people think cereal is a decent breakfast. You might as well sit down and just thrown down a couple tablespoons of sugar for breakfast. Or you could do the right thing and start the day off with some eggs (which can be cooked a number of ways), oatmeal (not the sugary packet stuff), plain yogurt (with whatever type of fruits you want mixed in) or a protein shake or smoothie.
- An easy way to think about eating right is to always include some type of protein source and fruit or vegetable every time you eat. Two things I’ll notice when people are struggling nutritionally is that their protein intake is way down and that they’re not getting in at least 3-5 servings of fruits & vegetables per day.
- I’d prefer to see people not do modified or “girlie push ups”. First off, I hate them being referred to as “girlie push ups”, because females are not the only ones who can’t do push ups from a legs extended position. I have seen a good number of men doing push ups from their knees. But the real reason I do not like people doing push ups from their knees because it takes the core out of play. When the legs are extended out, the core has to work as a thoralumbar stabilizer. A much better way to do standard push ups if you can not do them from the floor is to elevate your hands on a step, bench or Smith Machine (which is about the only thing the Smith Machine is useful for). The higher your hands are, the easier the push up is. The closer your hands get to the floor, the harder the push up becomes.
- One of the keys to having a great workout is doing a proper warm up. Just hopping on the bike or elliptical for 5-10 minutes is not enough. In my opinion a proper warm up consists of a couple minutes of foam rolling or other types of self myofacial release, static stretching for areas that are overly tight (hip flexors and the gleno- humeral joint are common areas of tightness) 5-10 minutes of dynamic flexibility and then a a couple warm ups sets of your first exercise.
Have a great weekend everyone.