- “I’m not going to eat chocolate after dinner…..on the weekends”.
- “My resolution is to exercise more this year….considering I hardly exercised last year”.
- “I’m going to stop having my daily sundae with hot fudge…but I’ll keep the sprinkles”.
- “No more drinking for me…for the next two weeks”.
You know what I personally think of New Year’s resolutions? I hate them. I hate hearing about them. I hate hear people talking about them. I find most of them to be ridiculous. And I find them to be about as successful as a binge eater trying to eat just one slice of pizza. Resolutions just do not work a good majority of the time because they are not well thought out. They are just something to do because a new year has started or because the chain smoker who works in the cubicle next to you decided to set a resolution and you thought you would join in on the fun. It turns out to be just something to say or do. Usually no accountability. Usually no timetable. Usually vary vague.
A much better and potentially more successful way to go would be to work on setting a goal. Notice I said, “work on setting a goal”. A goal is not just a vow you make five martinis deep on New Year’s Eve for the upcoming year. A lot goes into setting a goal when done right and for it to be successful. If you’re looking to make a change, lets take a look at what it takes to set a goal. There might be more to it than you think.
First, set one goal. No “I want to lose ten pounds and stop eating popcorn and get to three Zumba classes a week and….”. Instead of asking for a wish list, ask for one thing. Setting just one goal goes along way towards determining your level of success. It’s been estimated that your chances of success are around 80% if you just set one goal. Try to accomplish two goals at the same time and you’re chances of success go down to 20% for each goal. That’s a big difference. Set one goal. Achieve one goal. Move onto another goal.