Ok. Hopefully I have you eating breakfast and taking something in every 2-4 hours. Now, I’ll get into what you should be including with each breakfast or each meal. Remember, they are not meals. They are feedings. Times for fuel.
- Provide a bit of a boost to your metabolism. The thermic effect of protein is higher than that of fat or carbohydrates. In simple terms, it takes more energy to digest protein than fat or carbs.
- Improve lean muscle mass and help with recovery from workouts. The rate of protein turnover will be sped up especially if a post-workout shake is consumed.
- Reduce body fat. Isn’t this really what every one is after? Consuming protein at every meal is usually going to displace those fat storing carbs.
- Lean meats such as ground beef or turkey, chicken, bison, red meats (sirloin, round, tenderloin)
- Fish such as salmon or tuna
- Low-fat dairy (cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt)
- Whey or casein protein supplement